Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reader Response


Some responses from my Father Knows Nothing post about the kid who killed his mom because she took away his video game...



1. Alisha Says:
I cannot fathom how that father must feel now, being without a wife and soon to be without a son…OVER A FREAKIN VIDEO GAME?!?! I have seen a few people “on halo” and its not pretty…I talk like its a drug, and sometimes, obviously for some people it is.

2. Father Knows Nothing Says:

I feel exactly the same way. I discussed this story with my boys yesterday and they were very quiet. Something happens to the their brains when they play these games, and honestly, it’s terrifying to watch. I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t let them touch video games during the week at all.

3. momkat Says:

I discourage my son from playing violent video games, and we have very lively debates over the “shooting-as-entertainment” issue. Thankfully, he’s a Guitar Hero freak in his free time. It’s not my first choice of activity for him, but at least he’s not killing for sport. It really IS scary.

4. Father Knows Nothing Says:

I’m OK with Guitar Hero too. At least that’s semi-musical. I also don’t mind some of the Wii games that require actual physical movement. I know I sound like my parents here, but there really is something to this.