Thursday, February 19, 2009

E-mail, we get e-mails

From JE...

"Rick, I was reading your blog this morning and read about your encounter with Ernie Banks/Michael Jordan. I also got to meet Ernie in an unexpected way. Last summer, I went to one of Brandmeier's live broadcasts - it was at Harry Caray's on the first day of the Crosstown Classic. Since I am a radio junkie, my main motivation for going was to see how Johnny does a show and how all that works. I didn't pay any attention to who was going to be a guest that day or anything else about what was going to happen on the show (I have learned from that little mistake). So, I get there at 6am when this is supposed to start and realize that virtually nobody else is there - there are maybe 5 other listeners at this point and Johnny's crew.

So, I sit down at a table and just hang out. Johnny was not there yet, he was still broadcasting from the studio (I didn't realize he wasn't coming by until 8am)...The two people at the table next to me start talking to me. One I knew was Dutchie Carey because I had seen her before at other events. The other guy was really pleasant and interesting to talk to but I didn't know who he was -- eventually we all introduced ourselves...it was Ernie Banks. He was one of Johnny's guests that day (along with Ron Kittle who came in later).

I am very embarrassed to admit that I knew he played baseball but that was about all I knew - I totally admit I am a sports idiot. My husband tries to educate me but it will probably take him his whole lifetime to get me up to speed. So, I got to spend time with Ernie before he went on the show with Johnny just talking about general stuff - I don't think we talked about baseball at all. It wasn't until he was on the air that I realized what a legend I had the luck to spend time with. My husband was incredulous that I was so clueless. So - bottom line - he was a very nice guy - even to somebody like me - who didn't even deserve to be talking to him."