Thursday, July 08, 2010

I'm back

I'm finally back on American soil. (Photo: My fellow travelers--my brother Peter, my sister Cindy, my cousin Martina, and me in front of front of Ellis Stadium in Johannesburg before the Brazil-Chile match)

South Africa was fantastic, but my trip home was a bit of an adventure. My flight from Amsterdam to Detroit was canceled and I was stuck in Amsterdam for twenty four hours just as Holland was playing in the semi-finals...although, I must admit, that was actually kind of fun. I watched that game along the dams and locks in Rembrandt Square.

When I finally got to Detroit, they confiscated my carry-on bag because it contained a snow dome (I kid you not), and then lost the rest of my luggage. Our airplane had to deplane because it was sweltering inside (the air conditioning broke), and then the engines wouldn't start up correctly. After an eleven hour flight from Cape Town to Amsterdam, and a nine hour flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, wouldn't you know it--it took nine hours to get from Detroit to Chicago!

But I'm home, and I'll be posting pictures and stories from my great adventure over the next week or two.