Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Toy Story 3

The Pixar people have done it again.

I finally saw Toy Story 3 with the boys yesterday, and it was another masterpiece.

I written this before, but I'll do it again: the genius of the Pixar movies is that they appeal not just to the kids--they also appeal to the parents. The writing is always crisp, the heart strings are tugged in an intelligent and not overly sappy way, and they are always exciting to watch. This film, like all the Pixar movies, has humor (Spanish Buzz, and Ken's fashion show are laugh out loud funny), poignancy, action, and a heartfelt message all rolled up into one.

And in this case, they really had a legacy to live up to. I was worried that they couldn't wrap up the story in an emotionally satisfying way. I still consider Toy Story 2 to be the best of all the Pixar films, but Toy Story 3 is not far behind.

Who will enjoy it? Any kid.  Anyone that has kids. Anyone that ever was a kid.

The boys and I were talking about some of their favorite toys on the way home from the movie. They asked me what I would do with those toys after they go away to college. I told them that their favorites are just as special to me as they are to them. When I see those toys, I see their happiness. I can actually picture their smiles as they played with them. And when my boys aren't living in the house any more, those toys will mean even more to me.

It's the same reason my mother's basement is filled with my toys, and my sister's toys, and my brother's toys.

Those are much more than toys. They are symbols of a simpler time--a time that we will always cherish and savor. Those toys are childhood itself.

I know the kids don't get that when they watch the movie, which brings me back to the genius of Pixar. My kids loved the action. They loved the humor. They even (sort of) got the message of the film. But when the movie ended, they weren't the ones wiping the tears out of their eyes.

That was me.