Thursday, March 10, 2011

God Only Knows

Bob Dearborn's almanac really has something interesting every day, at least for someone like me that likes music from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I really thought I had an encyclopedic knowledge of that era's music, but he always has something I had never heard before. Like this little item from 45 years ago today...

March 10, 1966…Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys recorded the instrumental track for "God Only Knows." There were 23 studio musicians involved, but none of the Beach Boys played on the session. The vocals were recorded over the following month by three members of the group: Carl Wilson singing lead, Brian Wilson and Bruce Johnston doing backup vocals, probably the only well-known Beach Boys track that has just three voices on it. Mojo magazine ranked "God Only Knows" as the 13th-greatest song of all time.

Great, great song. Probably my second favorite Beach Boys record...