Thursday, July 28, 2011

On my birthday

I turn 48 years old today. As my brother pointed out, that makes me closer to 60 than 35. As my "friend" pointed out, I'm also closer to 70 than 25.

It's been a pretty exciting birthday so far. I spent the morning cleaning the house because our power was out again (lightning). All of my kids are also gone all day--Tommy & Johnny at Boy Scout camp, and Sean is in Milwaukee seeing the Cubs-Brewers game.

So, I'm spending the day with my dog, and she hasn't even mentioned my birthday. I don't think she even cares. (Bitch!)

I turned to Bob Dearborn's The Olde Disc Jockey's Almanac for comfort to see if anything momentous happened on any of my other birthdays, and was pleasantly surprised to see this one on my fifth birthday...

July 28, 1968…The Beatles had a "Mad Day Out," an all-day group photography session held across London. It produced most of their best-known late 1960s photographs, including one that appeared on the cover of LIFE magazine and another that was the inside gatefold of their "Beatles 1967-1970" album.

I also got a kick out of this one from my 43rd birthday...

July 28, 2006…In Malibu, California, actor Mel Gibson was arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) while speeding in his vehicle with an open container of alcohol. A leaked report revealed that during his arrest, Gibson made antisemitic remarks to arresting officer James Mee, who is Jewish, saying "F---ing Jews... the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson issued apologies for the incident, and affirmed the accuracy of the quotations. On August 17, he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor drunk driving charge and was sentenced to three years probation. He was ordered to attend self-help meetings five times a week for four and a half months and three times a week for the remainder of the first year of his probation. Gibson was also ordered to attend a First Offenders Program, was fined $1,300, and his license was restricted for 90 days.

I'm fairly sure Mel wasn't out celebrating my birthday.