Monday, November 25, 2013

Boardwalk Empire

My favorite show on television is "Boardwalk Empire" on HBO. It has all the elements that made "The Sopranos" great, plus it takes place during perhaps the most interesting time in American history. It's an era I've researched thoroughly for a novel I haven't yet written (and might never write). From everything I've read about that era, the show's creators have re-created those early prohibition years perfectly. Every detail feels just right.

They are also completely loyal to the actual fates of the historical characters. I was worried for a second last night when Johnny Torrio was shot that they might take the easy way out, and just have him die there. I knew in real life, he didn't die in Chicago. He retired to Italy. Sure enough, they got that right too.

In fact, I thought last night's season finale was the best episode of the entire series run. The way it ended was simply perfect.

Rolling Stone has a great interview with Terence Winter, the genius behind the show. He shares his thoughts about last night's episode, and teases what might happen in the future.