Monday, December 02, 2013

Elton Jim

For casual listeners of the Garry Meier program on WGN, you've probably heard Garry refer to his sidekick on the air as "Elton Jim". If you've ever wondered why Jim Turano is called that, check out his facebook page from this weekend. He attended his 150th Elton John concert this weekend. Here's what he wrote...

I never could have imagined, when I was 12 years old and my mom took me to see my first Elton John concert in July 1976, that more than 37 years later, I'd add 149 to that number, and ultimately, be acknowledged from the stage my Elton, thanking me for being such a lloyal fan through the years.

Two years ago, when I reached my 132nd show in Windsor, Canada, it dawned on me that I was approaching 150, and I was 48 at the time. So, the old PR guy in me figured reaching 150 by my 50th birthday in January 2014 had a nice ring to it, and also gave me a fun quest to set forth on. And so the "150 x 50" quest was born. Because Elton tours so much, and with his residency in Las Vegas, I knew the potential to reach 150 in two years was possible, but it would take lots of planning and lots of day trips, which have included Las Vegas, North Carolina, and even the remote location of, get ready for it -- Grand Forks, North Dakota!

The fates played a role, with a late November show in my hometown of Chicago planned. With a show in Atlanta on Nov. 16, I could do back-to-back shows in Detroit on Nov. 29 and coming home to make 150 the next night.

I made a sign stating it was my 150th show, and at most, expected Elton to hopefully see the sign and give a nod in recognition. After the third song , the lights went up and Elton spoke to the crowd, so I figured this was a good time to flash the sign as he'd have a good chance to see it, read it, and react to it. And he did! He read it pointed to it and mouthed, "Wow." That was a nice moment, but nothing like what occurred about 2 hours last.

After signing autographs att he lip of the stage, the lights were again up, so I figured I'd flash the sign one more time. This time, he read it again, and then paused, pointed to me and the sign and began to address me.



I'm still dumbfounded and for the first time, speechless. Elton's kind and heartfelt gesture of appreciation was a special moment and made all the airports, all the long car drives, all the motels, all the frantic hunt for tickets, all the time killing waiting for show time, all worth it and so much more.

When I was nine, I chose Elton John as my favorite performer...and 49 years later, I'm happy to know a picked not only a special entertainer but a special person. My only regret is that my mom couldn't be there to share the moment with me. She took me to my first Elton concert in 1976, and so knew how much it meant to me. And always so supportive of everything I did, and I know she would have enjoyed this moment. But as Elton sings, "Now she's in me, always with me," and I still share this moment with her.

People ask how can I go to so many Elton John concerts. And my answer, I know I've been to 150, but there are about 3,100 that I haven't been to...and that's what bothers me!

So, I'm thinking, "200 x 60"? Hmmm...

When will I stop seeing Elton John concerts?
I think it's gonna be a long, long time...