Friday, August 21, 2015

RIP Harry Volkman

One of the true greats in Chicago media--longtime weatherman Harry Volkman has passed away. He was beloved by Chicago television viewers, but I can tell you that he was even more beloved in the German community. He was our Babe Ruth, and that's no joke. My parents revered him, and so did all of their friends. I got the chance to tell that to Harry himself when our media careers crossed, and he was very gracious about it. I also told his son Eddie, who knew the reality all too well. Just last year the Volkmans (father and son) were invited to tap the keg at Oktoberfest at the Hofbrauhaus in Rosemont.

Deepest condolences to Eddie, and the rest of the Volkman family.

Robert Feder has written a beautiful tribute to Harry. I highly recommend reading it.