Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Q&A with "The Unplanned Life" author Roger Badesch

Roger Badesch is the author of the latest Eckhartz Press book The Unplanned Life. He has been waiting patiently through this pandemic to finally have his book released. We caught up with him this week to discuss the book and find out how it’s going…


Rick: You’ve been thinking about writing a book for a long time. What was it that finally sent you over the edge and made you say, ‘I’m gonna do it?’


Roger: Four factors pushed me ‘over the edge’: you approached me and convinced me, Rick Kogan was intrigued by my stories during his WGN Radio program and encouraged me, my wife said I should do it, and i had lots of retirement time on my hands.

Rick: Many people know you as a newscaster on WGN Radio. In fact that cover photo was made famous by your live reports during a terrible Chicago snowstorm. You go into this in harrowing detail in the book, but can you give us a Reader’s Digest version of it here?


Roger: I knew the storm was coming and it was going to be bad. But my full time teaching job was my priority. As opposed to some teachers, I stayed at my post all day putting me at risk for the drive home. Once on the road, I had an over-abundance of confidence that I would make it safely home. Then Mother Nature and human nature laughed out loud! A lost car with ice-encased engine found two days later, frostbite and an adventure for a lifetime later and I’m blessed to be here to tell it.

Rick: The people that follow your broadcasting career probably have no idea that you also spent time working for Chicago’s first female mayor and first African American mayor. Tell us a story about each of them.

Roger: Wow, so many . . . I’m not sure what about me Mayor Byrne found so favorable but it resulted in having more-than-usual access to getting her reaction to news events while I was a reporter for WKQX-FM, including being able to call her early in the morning at her home for interviews. Mayor Washington reminded me of my Uncle Harvey – my dad’s brother – friendly, supportive, accepting, gregarious, a belief in the common good. This was especially evident when I went to his apartment to install the stereo system that his staff had bought him one Christmas.

Rick: Your broadcasting stories and brushes with greatness are fascinating, but to me, the most inspiring part of the book covers your years as a teacher. That wasn’t just a temporary diversion for you. You taught for decades. I know you go into some of those stories, but what part of your teaching career gives you the most pride?


Roger: I think it’s something about my nature – something I still search for and puzzle about every day. I love helping people, yet I feel so woefully inadequate at it. There’ve been a couple ‘watchwords’, I guess, that helped guide me as a teacher, a parent and a friend – that I’ve tried to pass on: 1) you won’t know until you try, even if it doesn’t work out; 2) never take no for an answer – time will let you know if you should move on; 3) it’s okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them; 4) when you’re successful, I’ll be successful (so many of my former students say they remember that the most).

Rick: Now that family, friends, and colleagues are starting to read the book, what kind of reactions are you getting?


Roger: Well, my wife says I was a royal troublemaker as a kid – and she’s already known most of my exploits from back then. A few readers have commented that they feel like I’m right there sharing stories with them – and I’ve heard that before when I’d tell stories during my air shifts on WGN Radio with Rick Kogan, Brian Noonan, Matt Bubala and Dave Plier, amongst others. One close friend, whom I’ve known for about 30 years, called me an ‘f-ing dork’ when she read how Bridget and I first met in Bloomington/Normal IL. And she meant that in the most loving way possible. That was awesome!