Thursday, March 21, 2024

20 Years: Free "Back in the DDR" Excerpt

 

This year marks my 20th year as a professional writer. Over the course of 2024, I'll be sharing a few of those offerings you may have missed along the way.

In November of 2022, I released my third novel, Back in the DDR. It's the story of a young boy coming to grips with being uprooted and moving to West Germany in 1976. Real life events are woven into the story line, including one that happened this week in 1976: Patty Hearst was convicted.

I present this portion of the book here as a free sample...



Dad was reading the Stars and Stripes on the blue recliner while Mom got breakfast ready. She always made him a full breakfast every morning, even on Saturdays and Sundays. It smelled like bacon. I knew Dad didn’t like being disturbed before he read the paper and had his first cup of coffee, so I sat patiently on the blue couch. I could see the main headline on the front page: “Patty Hearst Found Guilty in San Francisco Bank Robbery.”

                He harumphed. I saw that as an opening.

                “Is Patty Hearst a terrorist?” I asked.

                “Small potatoes,” my dad said. “She’s just a rich girl who got caught up in something after they kidnapped her. The real terrorists are right here in West Germany. The Baader-Meinhof Gang. The Red Brigade. The Communists. We have most of them in prison now, but they are still terrorizing the whole continent. They have to be stopped.”

                “Dad?”

                He didn’t respond. He was still reading the paper.

                “Dad?”

                “What?” He sounded irritated.

                “Never mind, we can talk about it later.”

                He put the paper down. If anyone wanted to portray the word “exasperation” without saying the word, they should have taken a Polaroid of Dad’s face at that moment. The last thing he wanted to do was talk to me.

                “It’s OK,” I said. “Go back to your paper.”

                “What is it?” he asked.

                Mom walked into the adjoining dining room with two plates in her hand.

                “Breakfast is ready,” she said.

                “Rudi has a question first,” Dad said. The unsaid portion of his statement would have included the phrase “and it better be good.”

                “It’s not important,” I said, and jumped off the couch toward the dining room table. Dad put his newspaper down on his chair and followed me. Mom went back into the kitchen to retrieve her plate. She always served herself last.

                I took my seat to Dad’s right and waited for him to say the blessing. He was still staring at me as Mom took her seat. The eggs and bacon smelled great.

                “Dear Lord,” Dad said, “Thank you for the blessing of this food, and thank you for sending us a son who will now tell me what he wants to say. Amen.”

                “Amen,” Mom and I replied.

                I started eating the eggs. They were scrambled. Like normal people eat them.

                “You want us to buy you something, don’t you?” he asked.

                I shook my head. “Nope.”

                “Well then what is it?”

                I put my fork down and looked him in the eye. It seemed like such a crazy question; I was afraid to ask it.

                “WHAT?” he said. His irritation made the question plop right out of my mouth.

                “Are you a spy?”

                Dad burst out laughing. “That’s what you wanted to ask me?”

                “David told me that you were in military intelligence,” I said.

                “Do you know what military intelligence is?” Dad asked, not waiting for my reply. “It’s an oxymoron, that’s what.”

                I noticed that he didn’t answer my question.

                “But are you?”

                “I told you,” He said, “I’m an engineer. I build dams, bridges, and tunnels. Right now I’m heading up the project to build an American Junior High School in Heidelberg. That’s why I’ve been gone so much lately.”

                “But that’s not a dam, bridge or tunnel,” I pointed out.

                Dad sighed. “It’s also not being a spy. Am I spying on junior high kids?”

                It was clear he wanted this conversation to end, but I wasn’t ready to end it.

                “Why is a guy who works with you, David’s dad, in military intelligence?” I asked.

                “Who told you that?”

                “David.”

                “Oh he did, did he?”

“Uh huh.”

Dad looked me right in the eye.  “Colonel Schatz, the lead engineer in my office, is secretly a spy? Is that what you’re saying?”

“Uh huh.”

“If that’s true, then isn’t telling his son about it breaking some sort of a spy code?”

                Ooh. That’s a good point. What spy would tell his son he’s a spy? On the other hand, maybe that’s why Dad can’t tell me that he’s a spy.

                Dad sighed. “Do I look like a spy to you?”

                I didn’t know what to say. True, he didn’t wear a top hat like the spy in Stratego, but I’m pretty sure spies don’t look like that in real life.

                “Look at me. I’m 44 years old. I’m out of shape.” He patted his not-insignificant beer belly. “I’m a family man. I’m an engineer. Who would hire a 44-year-old-out-of-shape-family-man-engineer to be a spy?”

                “Military intelligence?”

                He guffawed.

“Good one.”

I wasn’t totally satisfied, but on the other hand, Dad laughed at my joke. Dad never laughs at my jokes.




Here's a bonus piece from the archives: My brush with William Shatner. I wrote it in this week in 2007 (on Shatner's 76th birthday), but the meeting with Shatner occurred in the late 80s.