Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Berlin Wall

It was 20 years ago this week...



This day meant a lot to me. I had been to the wall many times during my years in Germany. I had gone through Checkpoint Charlie several times. I had been on the other side of the wall...and it was the most terrifying place I had ever been.

I didn't believe this day would ever come.

On the day it actually happened I was working for Steve & Garry's show. They made me call my relatives in Europe. My sister lived in Switzerland at the time, but S&G didn't like her because she didn't have a German accent. They wanted someone that could speak English, but someone with a thick authentic German accent.

So, I called my grandmother. She came on the air with them, and after the first Nazi joke, told them off and hung up on them.

I miss Oma. She died the next year. But at least she lived to see the wall come down. Her entire family lived on the other side of it.