Monday, April 12, 2010

Anonymous Comments

I got another e-mail this week asking me why I don't allow comments on some of my blogs. First of all, let me just say, that I actually do allow comments at Just One Bad Century and Father Knows Nothing.

The reason I don't allow comments at Chicago Radio Spotlight is because I want that site to remain a completely positive place.  I'm protective of my interview subjects because I read how nasty the "comments section" can get at other sites. I hope you can understand. I just want to highlight the careers of people I respect and admire.

The reason I don't allow comments here at this blog is because I occasionally post political comedy, or make comments about political bias in the media. Those are subjects that can lead to very angry comments/responses. Here's my take on that--I try not to overdo either subject. If it's funny, it's funny. If you don't think it is, I'm sorry. If it's about bias, it seems that everyone has an opinion, and you're certainly entitled to yours. My opinions are well known (I've even written a book about the subject), and since this is my blog, when I see examples in today's media that align with the thesis of my book, I like to share those here. But allowing comments would quickly degenerate into an angry political nuh-uh, uh-huh, contest. I don't want this blog to turn out like some of the newspaper websites, which have become incredibly nasty.

In fact, those newspaper websites have gotten so bad that they are considering eliminating anonymous commenting altogether.

The New York Times has an article about that today.

I hope that answers your question.