Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Adrian Cardenas

When I heard the Cubs had acquired a minor league infielder named Adrian Cardenas I wondered if he just might be the son or nephew of former big league shortstop Leo Cardenas. (Like Derrek Lee is the nephew of former Cardinals outfielder Leron Lee).

Leo Cardenas played for a bunch of teams including the Reds, the Rangers, the Angels, and the Twins. I have several of his baseball cards, including this one from 1970. I looked up Adrian to see if there was any information about his heritage and couldn't find anything. But this morning, I did find a picture of him.

I'm guessing there's no relation...



(In case you're wondering, he hit .314 with five home runs, scored 70 times, drove in 51 runs and finished eighth in the Pacific Coast League (AAA) with 154 hits, and he plays left field, 1B, SS, and 3B. Not sure why Billy Beane left him unprotected.)