Monday, January 28, 2013

Schultz!

40 years ago today, we lost an icon. From Bob Dearborn's The Olde Disc Jockey's almanac...

January 28, 1973…Actor (Hogan's Heroes, The Chicago Teddy Bears, 36 Hours, Once Upon a Honeymoon, The Fallen Sparrow, Hitler, The Young Lions, The Interns, The Prize, The Story of Ruth, Operation Eichmann, The Yellow Canary, The Blue Angel, The Wicked Dreams of Paula Schultz, Bedtime Story, Never Say Goodbye, The Juggler, Guilty of Treason, The Fallen Sparrow) John Banner died of an abdominal aneurysm at age 63.

I loved Hogan Heroes when I was boy--absolutely loved it. And every time my dad walked into the room when I was watching it he would get mad at me.

"How can you watch this nonsense? They make the Germans look so stupid!"

To which I always replied: "I thought you said that Germans and Nazis were not the same thing."

"Ach!"

He was right. The Germans are very stupid in this show. That's what makes it so funny.