Thursday, January 09, 2014

Media Spotlight--January 9


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, and show business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.



Chicago Media...

~101 changing back to alternative rock.
From the RAMP Newsletter this morning:
RAMP has confirmed that Cumulus indeed plans to return the Alternative format to the 101.1 frequency in Chicago tomorrow at 9am. Last Friday Cumulus announced it had taken over the operations of Merlin Media's WLUP (97.9 The Loop) and WIQI (i101)/Chicago. Look for the Alternative format to simulcast on both 101.1 and its current home on Q87.7 for at least 30-45 days. Stand by for further details.

~Brian Middleton Out As Afternoon Jock
From Radio Daily this morning. I was suprrised to see this. (I just interviewed Cara for my Illinois Entertainer column a few weeks ago. You can read that here.)
WILV-FM (Rewind 100.3)/Chicago afternoon personality Brian Middleton comes off of afternoons, but will remain with the Hubbard Adult Hits outlet as a parttime/fill-in talent. Night personality Cara Carriveau moves into PM drive until a new host is hired. Middleton moved into WILV PM drive back in April, 2012.

~Linda Yu injured in a motorcycle accident
Robert Feder has the details at the link. It sounds like she's on the mend--hope she gets better soon. I talked to her just before she left on that vacation and she gave me this great blurb for Joel Daly's book, which is coming out at the end of this month on Eckhartz Press: "You may have trusted him for years as he brought you the news. You may have been entertained when you heard him yodel. You may have thrilled to his Renaissance man exploits as world traveler, pilot, actor and lawyer. Read this book to find out why he became ALL those things ...and why Joel Daly is my Dad."

~Memories of the Limelight
Tony Fitzpatrick's latest article about the Limelight is spot on. I went there twice and thought it was the creepiest place imaginable. Its what I think of when I watch the SNL bit starring "Stephon"


The Moguls...

~The Hollywood Reporter interviews Sumner Redstone
He's 90 years old now, so I guess it's time to get serious about succession plans. Right? Here's what he says: "I will not discuss succession. You know why? I'm not gonna die. So why should I discuss succession?" I just love reading about this guy. He's as close to a real-life cartoon as possible (positively Trumpian). He watches his stocks "second by second". He thinks Rupert did the right thing by dumping his wife. He snaps at the interviewer like he's talking to an employee. He won't agree that his girlfriend is beautiful. You gotta read it.

~Roger Ailes fights back
The Hollywood Reporter interviewed Ailes too. He's in full-on damage-control mode, and yet, he still can't help himself. This quote shows what kind of a person he is..."Look at those six screens. I always bring my producers in and say: "Turn away from there. Now look back and tell me where your eye goes." They tell me. If it doesn't go to my screen, that's how you're going to get fired."


The Late Night Comedians...

~Jon Stewart takes down Bill O'Reilly
This is hilarious. O'Reilly sounds a thousand years old when he talks about pot and texting.

~SNL also hires two black female writers
They apparently have heard the outrage loud and clear. I'd like to point out that they don't have any Germans on staff. Just sayin'. Who is there to speak for the hilarious Germans out there?


The Pundits...

~Ezra Klein is leaving the Washington Post
This isn't a new story, but I mention it here to note that it appears he will be becoming a full-time pundit soon. I think he's pretty good at explaining complex stories, but he does come off a touch condescending.


Broadcast News...

~Changes in the MSNBC lineup
Alex Wagner is replacing Martin Bashir. Rotating hosts are replacing Alex Wagner. (Alex Wagner is a girl, by the way.)