Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Javier

Here he comes, Cub fans. Javier Baez is making his debut tonight for the Cubs. I'm going out with a fellow Cubbie geek to watch the game on television together.

I realize that's a little ridiculous. My fellow Cubbie geek (who is actually double the geek I am, if you can believe it) warns me that Baez has struggled every time he has been brought up another level, at least initially. It happened at High-A ball, Double-A, and Triple-A. It will probably happen in the big leagues too.

But we're still going out tonight to watch him on television together. We're like alcoholics who haven't had a drink for years, sitting at the bar, drinking a cup of foam, waiting for the next keg to be tapped. The foam doesn't quite cut it. It's bitter and slightly disgusting, but it has the taste in it...and that taste is being brought up from cellar any moment.

Hmmm. After reading that metaphor, I'm thinking I may have more pressing problems than what happens to the Cubs.