Thursday, August 07, 2014

Apparently Kid

This video has gone viral. They are calling him Apparently Kid...because he constantly says the word apparently.



It caught my attention because I had my own Apparently kid about seven or eight years ago. I didn't even remember this until I started working on my Father Knows Nothing book. Over these past two weeks I read all 400 of my Father Knows Nothing columns. This column was written was back in 2008, and may be included in the book...



My youngest son Sean has always had a parrot-like ability to pick up the language. It was through four-year-old Sean that I discovered my overuse of the word “apparently.” Apparently I said apparently all the time, because apparently Sean picked it up and began to say it in every sentence, apparently.

“Apparently I have to go to the potty.”

“Apparently Pokemon cards are all over the floor.”

“Apparently Johnny wants to punch me because I say the word apparently too much.”

Sean and I went cold turkey together, and after a brief period of shaking and sweating, we came out of the other side of the apparently tunnel stronger than ever. We attend Apparently Anonymous meetings every Tuesday. Apparently we’re completely recovered.

After Sean starting attending school all day, a new word replaced “apparently.” He said the word “Snap!” a thousand times a day. This word doesn’t have the utility of “apparently,” but it can be used in quite a few situations.

It can be an exclamation of regret (”Snap! I forgot my mittens.”), an exclamation of delight (”Snap! French Fries!”) or a valuable part of a gloating song and dance (”Oooh Snap! You got pwnd.”)

“Pwnd” was the other new word entered our house. This ultra-cool 21st century word was introduced to the household by my middle son Johnny. It was his favorite word. “Pwnd” has various different uses. An individual can “pwn” an opponent in a debate by presenting an argument that simply can’t be countered. He can be “pwnd” in a game by decisively outsmarting his opponent. And, in rare cases of total domination, the victor is able to bask in “pwnage.”

If the “pwnr” is Sean, you were sure to hear the word “Snap!” during the pwnage aftermath.

Apparently he really likes that word.