Thursday, January 29, 2015

Andrew Sullivan is Giving up Blogging

Sullivan is probably the biggest blogging star of all-time. His blog, the Dish, has had more readers than any other blog, and he's been doing it for 15 years. Yesterday he announced he would be ending the blog soon. I saw a funny quote about him last night. One fan said: "When he began, older people had no idea what a blog was. As he ends it, young people have no idea what a blog is."

The sheer volume and quality of his posts has been something I've marvelled at over the years. Just doing my little piddly handful of posts every day has taken me more hours than I care to admit, so I have a pretty good idea of how hard Sullivan worked at his craft. Other than taking off the month of August every year, he continued to crank out ten, fifteen, twenty great posts every single day. For 15 years!

Incredible accomplishment. I tip my cap to him.