Thursday, February 19, 2015

Tom Collichio

I love the show "Top Chef"--it's one of my top 5 shows on the air right now. We all watch it together as a family in my house, and it's literally the only show that we all watch together these days, other than special broadcasts like the Super Bowl, the Oscars, or something like last weekend's SNL 40 special. Tom Collichio is the head judge and star of Top Chef.

But this seems like a strange move to me: MSNBC’s New Dish: Tom Colicchio is Named Food Correspondent

Here's a little part of the article explaining the hire...

Colicchio will host a new weekly show called “Stirring the Pot” on Shift, and contribute reports to “Morning Joe” and “The Rachel Maddow Show.”

“Tom’s values, expertise and focus on advocacy are a perfect match for MSNBC and we can’t wait to watch his original and in-depth reporting in action,” says MSNBC president Phil Griffin.

MSNBC says adding Colicchio “is part of MSNBC’s larger strategy to cover a broader set of stories that move and inspire Americans through its progressive lens, while investing in more original reporting from the field.”
I'll reserve judgement until I see it. Who knows? Maybe going this route is a better choice for MSNBC. Their ratings really are struggling right now. I don't see it working, but I've been wrong before.