Wednesday, May 06, 2015

This day in 1998

17 years ago today I was called into the boss' office along with the rest of our morning show (John Landecker, Vince Argento, Catherine Johns, Tom Sochowski) and told that we were no longer allowed to do anything on the air except play the records. No more interviews, no more remotes, no more bits. Just 10 songs an hour (or more), news/traffic, and generic/inoffensive/brief music-related content. It didn't take a genius to realize our award-winning production staff wasn't going to be needed much longer. So, I took my fellow producers Vince and Tom to the Cubs game, and we drowned our sorrows. Little did we know we were about to witness history. That was the game Kerry Wood struck out 20 men. One of the greatest games of my life was played on one of the worst days of my career. It's funny in retrospect--I barely remember that meeting, but I'll never forget that game.