Friday, March 04, 2016

Knife Found Buried at OJ's Estate

One of my guilty pleasures the past few weeks has been watching the FX series about the OJ Trial. It's really well done. The guy who plays Johnny Cochran is particularly great. I feel like I'm watching the real guy. Same for the actor playing Chris Darden. (Travolta is terrible as Robert Shapiro, but he's really the only one who doesn't do a good job)

While the actual trial was going on I was the executive producer of the John Landecker show on WJMK, and we followed this trial incredibly closely. We did four different songs about it. We did untold bits about the news of the day. We created the "Dancing Itos" concept that was later stolen by Jay Leno. I watched the trial daily to get bit ideas. And I remember it incredibly well. So, when I say they are doing a great job recreating it, I know what I'm talking about.

And now, while this series is being shown on television, new evidence has emerged. According to TMZ this morning, a knife has been found buried on the grounds of OJ Simpson's former estate. Remember, the murder weapon was never found. They searched the woods here in Chicago for it (because he flew to Chicago the night of the murders), and they searched his estate, but they never looked to see if it was buried there. And, according to the article, the knife appears to have blood residue on it.

Of course, even if it proves to be the murder weapon, OJ cannot be charged with the crime again. He was acquitted. Double Jeopardy precludes a second trial. But still, wouldn't it be nice to know?