Friday, March 18, 2016

Podcast Movement

There's a podcast convention coming to town this summer. Tom Taylor's NOW column has the details...

The third annual “Podcast Movement” conference lands in Chicago, July 6-8 at the downtown Hyatt Regency. (Last year’s edition visited Fort Worth.) Organizers call it “PM16” and are designing it for “anyone currently involved with, or looking to get into, podcasting and the podcast industry.” There should be over 100 speakers across 80 sessions.

Among the speakers...film director Kevin Smith.

Everyone's doing a podcast these days. Garry Meier's podcast began this past week, and I got a chance to listen to part of his interview with Howard Stern. Howard gave a lot of credit to Robin (Quivers), and talked about Garry's "divorce" from Steve...

"I know with you and Steve it was a rough thing at the end. It's really no joke--it's like a marriage when you so work so closely with someone. It's sort of mind-blowing how much time you spend together. And we know how many of those relationships can go bad, but I think at the end of the day Robin and I just have a great love for each other and value what we do."

If you're a Garry or Howard fan, it's worth a listen. Howard sounds incredibly mellow.

As for me, I'm jumping on the podcast bandwagon myself. My podcast partner will be my long-time pal and business partner (and former radio partner in Champaign) David Stern. All of the equipment was set up in my house last week, and we're doing our first test-podcast today. The working title of our show is...Minutia Men.

Coming soon (within a few weeks) to a downloadable site near you.