Monday, September 03, 2018

What Makes a Great Year?

Mitch Michaels wrote the following on his webpage at his radio station (The River). It's hard to believe it's already been a year since he released "Doin the Cruise" via Eckhartz Press...

Well, the past 12 months have been quite a unique and interesting ride! In that period of time we’ve been included on the River’s annual trip south (this year to Puerto Vallarta and here’s hoping that becomes a yearly thing for us as well), celebrated a milestone birthday and was totally surprised by Susie and group of my good friends, was made aware that I would be a grandfather for the sixth time around December 1st, was nominated (for the 2nd year/unsuccessfully) for the Radio Hall of Fame (hey if it’s suppose to happen it will) and literally one year ago today my book was released: Doin The Cruise: Memories From a Lifetime in Radio & Rock n Roll.

As I look back on all the other events that clog the calendar, the shows, the station events with River staff and listeners, diners and gatherings with friends and family, this one simply overwhelms. I wrote the book for me, for my kids and grand kids so they knew at least some of what I had done with my life, but I also wrote it for all those of you who have been listening throughout years. We’ve spent a great deal of time together and I thought a chronology of the Chicago radio landscape, from my point of view, over the past forty-five plus years might be of some interest. I’m happy to say that the vast majority of those, I’ve heard from after their accusation of the book, have been very positive. I wanted to say thanks to my publishers Rick Kaempfer and David Stern from Eckhartz Press who did such a great job and a special thanks to Ken Churilla (my co-author) who spent two years listening, recording and writing down my stories. Ken was required to learn a brand new language for this project. He had to learn “Mitch Speaks” and he learned it very well.

Forgive me if this sounds like I’m reliving A Day in The Life, because that’s exactly what I’m doing! This day, one year ago was so special. It started with an interview on The Noon News at WGN-TV with Steve Sanders who turned out to be a fan. Big fun! Great guy!! Followed by a book release party later that afternoon, at Lloyd’s of Chicago, attended by old friends and co-workers alike. It was an amazing day! It’s been a whirlwind of a year and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m still doing what I love and will celebrate my fiftieth year in radio this fall. Let me say thanks to one and all and on to the next fifty!! Yeah Baby!!