Monday, August 15, 2022

Rock Radio Revisited

 Yesterday afternoon I attended the Rock Radio Revisited fundraiser for the Museum of Broadcast Communications at the Des Plaines Theater. The panelists were John Records Landecker, Tommy Edwards, Bob Stroud, and Dyana Williams. Videotaped contributions from Kris Erik Stevens, Cousin Brucie, and Connie Szerszen were also part of the show. Dave Plier and the gang at the Museum did a very nice job putting this all together.

I thought moderator Wendy Snyder was very adept at keeping the discussion going, and the panelists each provided great stories about the good old days of radio. Landecker wowed the crowd with his tale about John Travolta at Woodfield Mall (and the Emmy Awards). Tommy Edwards did the same with his story about Bill Kurtis from his Topeka, Kansas days, and Bob Stroud shared a great memory about the radio wars between WMET and the Loop in the early 1980s. (And thanks Bob, for mentioning my Illinois Entertainer piece about you on the stage)

I must admit, this event drew a much bigger crowd than I anticipated. Radio geeks one and all. My kind of people.  Radio's Best Friend Art Vuolo was there, so I suspect the video will soon be available.

Here are a few photos from the event. (Photos by me, Kevin Wooldrige/who drove all the way in from Ohio, and Scott Childers/who is the premier chronicler of WLS history).