Friday, November 01, 2013

Clock Change/Traffic Day

This is the weekend we turn back the clocks an hour. While it's not a big deal to most of us, it's the hardest day of the year for radio traffic directors (not car traffic, radio commercial traffic). They have to create a 25-hour commercial log that repeats the 1am hour, but doesn't repeat the same commercials, using computer programs clearly not designed to do that.

I've been on the air a few times when that clock was moved back an hour, and I remember how confusing that used to be. (But I was paid hourly, so I made an extra hour's pay!)

Anyway, in honor of that task, the Traffic Directors Guild of America (a real organization) has declared November 4th "Traffic Day". Happy Traffic Day, in advance. I've never worked with a traffic director I didn't like. It's a difficult and often thankless job, and they are never singled out and given recognition. It's about time.