Thursday, February 27, 2014

Media Spotlight--February 27


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


Chicago Media

Harold Ramis Remembered At Private Service
It's starting to sink in that he's really gone. I saw Garry Meier when I was over at WGN yesterday, and this was one of the first things he brought up to me. We didn't even know Harold that well, but we're all stunned and feel a real sense of loss.

~Joanne Genette Leaves The River
She was co-hosting a show with Scott MacKay and resigned yesterday. Here's what she said on her facebook page: "It's a simple case of me not feeling comfortable with the style of the new management. That's all. I love Scott Mackay. My decision to leave has nothing at all to do with him. I loved our show. I was hoping the River would be the place in radio where I could finally rest my head, but the new management said something to me that made me feel very uncomfortable. No reason to stick around. I'm sure it will get twisted and they'll say I'M the problem. That's what happens. So be it. Life goes on."


The Moguls

~As the Rupert Turns
In today's episode we discover that three former Rupert employees have now been charged with bribery. Never a dull moment. Do you think he's gotten to the point yet where he doesn't even the answer the phone if the call is coming from England? No news from there is ever good news for Mr. Murdoch.


Broadcast News

~Rosie O'Donnell Considered as Replacement for Piers Morgan
This is really an interesting choice, if it's true. I'm not a fan, but many people are.

~Snot Off The Presses
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. This is a reporter named Heather Holmes on a television station in the Bay Area, KTVU...


~I Lost My Dad To Fox News: How A Generation Was Captured by Thrashing Hysteria
This is a good piece in Salon today, written by a former Republican/Libertarian. My own dad died before the birth of Fox News. I suspect the same thing would have happened to him. He was a reasonable Republican.


Showbiz

~"Son of God" Opens Friday
Backed by churches buying out entire multi-plexes, the film is expected to do big numbers at the box office. Good marketing by Mark Burnett and his wife Roma Downey.