Thursday, March 20, 2014

Media Spotlight--March 20


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


Chicago Media

~Len Weiner Gets PD Gig in Miami
Weiner was the program director of both ESPN and WGN radio in Chicago. His latest gig is Program Director of Sports/Talk WAXY-AM (790 The Ticket) and WAXY-FM (FM 104.3).

~Dick Orkin is writing a book
This morning I'm being interviewed by an author who is working with Dick Orkin on a book about the legendary voiceover talent. That's a book I'm eager to read. I interviewed Dick for Chicago Radio Spotlight a few years ago, but I've never met him in person.

~Jim Kerr Celebrates 40th Anniversary
40 years ago a young Jim Kerr left the Big 89, WLS, and moved on to New York. He's still there, still doing mornings, and Radio Ink has a nice feature about him at the link.


Broadcast News

~CNN's Don Lemon Posits the Most Ridiculous Theory About Jetliner


The Moguls

-As the Rupert Turns
Yesterday's revelation in the phone hacking trial was a damning one. The Royal editor was pressured by his bosses to take the fall for the phone hacking. If this jury doesn't find them guilty, I'm going to be very surprised.

The Pundits

~The President Appears on Ellen's Show