Thursday, July 17, 2014

A little radio advice

A radio host in Boston, Kirk Minihane, is in trouble for words he said about Erin Andrews and her interview of Adam Wainwright at the all-star game. According to Radio Online, here's what he said...

"What a bitch! I hate her! What a gutless bitch! Seriously, go away. Drop dead. I mean, seriously what the hell is wrong with her?"

OK, I've heard worse, but at the risk of sounding a thousand years old, I have some advice for Kirk and the other broadcasters out there. See that thing you're talking into? That's a microphone. That microphone is supposed to be connected to an automatic switch that turns on a filter inside your brain. You're no longer allowed to just say whatever comes into your mind. There are seven words, for instance, that the filter always catches. (My filter still works at home with my kids). If you have a half-way decent filter, it should also catch your words before you wish death upon a living person, or call a female reporter a bitch, which if I can get picky here, isn't even the correct usage of that term in this case.

In fairness to Kirk, he has apologized, but I still find it hard to believe that the passion of this particular moment (Adam Wainwright throwing a few fat pitches to Derek Jeter, and a reporter allowing him to get off the hook for it in an interview) so inflamed him that he couldn't control himself.

Then again, this could be why I've never worked in sports radio.