Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Behind the Curtains

I just read this entire Chris Rock interview from start to finish and it's amazing.

Incredible insight.

I love reading how the great creatives of the world think.

I was talking to my son about this on Friday night while we watched Foo Fighters Sonic Highways on HBO (Great friggin show). There's something about watching a creative person tell you or show you how they get from point A to point Z that is spellbinding. As a creative person myself, I learn something new every time. I'm not a comedian, but reading how one of the bravest and most accomplished comedians thinks, is an incredible gift. I'm not a musician, but watching how a great band creates their music, is incredibly inspiring. I feel the same way listening to actors talking to other actors. It's not exactly turn on the lights and pretend, is it?

I don't get the same thrill listening to writers because I already think like they do. Don't get me wrong, I'll still get sucked in to C-SPAN's book club shows, but really only when they have writers that write different genres than I do. Then I can't turn it off. Mystery writers. That's interesting. I might like to try that some day. Historians and Biographers. Wow, talk about dedication to a subject. Do I have that in me? Probably not, but you never know. I love hearing playwrights talking about rewriting sections that don't seem to be resonating with an audience, or screenwriters talking about using only dialog to progress a story line.

OK, I take it back. I love listening to all writers talk about writing. In fact, I can't get enough of it.

The sheer excitement I feel when I read or hear or watch this stuff just lets me know that I'm finally doing what I was put on this earth to do. It may have taken me 40 years to figure it out, but I'm so happy that I did before it was too late.