Thursday, July 09, 2015

Tony Bruno

For a little while Tony Bruno was the morning sports-talk host in Chicago, hosting a show for Sporting News Radio. He has gone on to achieve success in Philadelphia, but that ended abruptly yesterday. This is kind of a shocking development, so I thought I'd share the details with you. From Tom Taylor's NOW column...

He’s been absent from his PM drive co-hosting slot with Josh Innes on CBS Radio’s all-sports WIP Philadelphia (94.1) – and for about a half-hour yesterday, Innes was also AWOL. Now it all comes out in a melodrama that probably made some PPM meters glow white-hot. Josh, who’d been brought up to Philly from Houston first to do nights and then afternoons, was paired with the more experienced Bruno. Now Tony, a syndicated host on several sports networks who had recently circled back to WIP, says he’s leaving AM/FM radio, period. Tony posts on his website that “after 45 years of pursuing my dreams and goal of radio, and climbing the sports radio stairs to the highest rungs, the format and industry in general no longer provide me joy and satisfaction, even after reaching #1 in PM drive in record time [with 25-54 men] in my hometown.” So, he “decided to resign from WIP and from regular long-form terrestrial radio as a result, and will pursue my podcasts and other things that keep my occupied and happy.”