Wednesday, July 12, 2017

David Brooks Getting Skewered

Twitter exploded yesterday after David Brooks' column came out in the New York Times. Brooks is an old fashioned country club Republican, trying to connect with the Trumpian Republican revolution, and he failed miserably with this bizarre anecdote...

Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican.

That's the kind of story you tell your golfing buddies at the club while you sip your martinis. "And then, Chauncy, I ate something they referred to as 'enchilada'. I've seen Guadalupe make those for my gardener, and I thought, my word--how does one eat this. My uneducated friend gave me, are you ready for this, she gave me a plastic fork. It was charming. Sometimes it's good for the soul to eat among the uneducated. They have such resourcefulness."