Monday, September 30, 2013

South Side Story

If you know anything about me, you know I'm a die-hard Cubs fan. My son Sean might even be a bigger Cubs fan than me, if it's possible. So when he said he wanted to go to U.S. Cellular for his birthday, I was a little surprised.

"I just want to see another ballpark," he said to me. "We've driven by it, but we've never gone in."

"OK," I said, "but you can't wear any Cubs stuff. I took your brother to a Cubs-Sox game at Comiskey when he was five years old and an entire section of White Sox fans booed him for several innings because he was wearing a Cubs hat. They booed a five-year-old."

"Really?"

"Really," I said. "I'm not kidding. No Cubs stuff. We'll just go enjoy a ballgame."

"I promise," he said.

I let him bring four of his pals and we spent Saturday night at the park. Had a good time too. We were in the front row of the centerfield bleachers (the seats even have backs!). Seven homers were hit that night, so we saw lots of fireworks. Plus, after the game, they had an actual fireworks display. And because the White Sox won, we got free fries at McDonald's.

Other than listening to five boys screaming non-stop for several hours (where in the world do they get the energy?), the Cell was a very positive experience. It's still not Wrigley, but if I had brought five boys to Wrigley, I would have had to take out another mortgage.