Friday, April 11, 2014

Media Spotlight--April 11


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


The Moguls

~Rupert Interview
He often tweets and spouts (and testifies), but he doesn't often sit down for an interview. Fortune Magazine talked to Rupert about his ex-wife, his pick for 2016, and more. The link I'm providing here goes to Time Magazine's summary, but a link to the article itself is contained there too.

~Moonves Buys Mansion on Billionaire's Beach
That's in Malibu, by the way. Naturally he bought it from another billionaire--Paul Allen.


Broadcast News

~CNN Is Dropping Talk Show in the 9ET/CT Slot
Documentaries will air in that timeslot instead. I can see the logic in this. Even during the last ten years or so of Larry King's reign, the talk show didn't do well in that timeslot.


Showbiz

~Variety's Take on Stephen Colbert Hiring
They sound a little skeptical about Colbert at Variety. I'm not at all. I've been watching him since he worked in Chicago. Don't underestimate the guy's talent. He is defintely not a one-trick pony. Also, they quote his ratings in this piece and compare them to Fallon, Kimmel, and Letterman. Um, you'd think this was obvious, but let me point it out in case it isn't. He's on Comedy Central!

~Is Craig Ferguson on the Way Out Too?
Sounds like it when you read the comments from Les Moonves. He flat out says "12:30 is up in the air". If I'm Craig Ferguson and I'm reading that, I'm quietly packing my bags.