Thursday, July 10, 2014

Zander Out

I was very surprised by this news. I just talked to him recently (via e-mail) and had no indication this was a possibility. From Radio Online...

Mark Zander is out as Program Director of Classic Rock WERV-FM (95.9 The River) and Rock WRXQ-FM (QROCK 100.7)/Chicago. He also handled afternoons for WERV. Zander, who has been with the company since October, 2010, was elevated to PD or WERV in early, 2011, adding Classic Rock WRXQ-FM programming duties the following September. Prior to that, he served as PD of Classic Rock WRXQ-FM/Joliet, IL. WERV morning co-host and Assistant PD Danielle Tufano will act as The River's interim PD.

I just featured Danielle a month or two ago at the Illinois Entertainer. She described her duties as Assistant PD as "doing whatever Zander needs." I also interviewed Zander a few years ago, when he was still working in California. He had just left the Loop, where he had been working as the overnight guy during my very last stint in radio. I was working as a morning show consultant for the Spike, Dobie & Max show.