Monday, January 13, 2014

Q & A with "Life Behind The Camera" Author Chuck Quinzio

Chuck Quinzio's "Life Behind the Camera" came out at the end of 2013, and has generated quite a bit of buzz within the Chicago media community. WGN radio's Bob Sirott, Bill Zwecker from the Sun Times, WCPT's Dick Kay, and WGN-TV's Nancy Loo have all chimed in with their support and praise. (It's available right here at Eckhartz Press). I recently got a chance to catch up with the author and ask him a few questions about the book and the reaction it's been getting.

What made you decide to write this book?

Chuck: I decided to write the book because I felt my job had taken me to places most people never get to see. I have been fortunate enough to meet presidents, celebrities, and others who live a much more extravagant life than mine. On the flip side, I've also seen how people can struggle, and how bad society can be. I've seen people die in the streets. To answer your question, I think this is a different look at the news game, a behind the scenes look at a business filled with characters, told from a cameraman's perspective. I don't think anyone has told it from that point of view before, and I figured "Why not me?"

Once you started writing, did you find it hard to remember all this, or did you keep pretty good records over the years?

Chuck: When I first started as a cameraman, a friend told me to buy a calendar book every year to keep track of the hours, so I did. But I also wrote down anything interesting that came along on any given day. I went back over them when I was writing this book, and they proved to be invaluable.

You've opted not to use real names. I think part of the fun of the book is trying to figure out who is who. Have you heard from any of the people in the book, and how are they reacting to it?

Chuck: A couple of close friends in the book recognized themselves right away. They just laughed because they had forgotten about certain details. What amazed me the most was that I purposely tried very hard to conceal the identity of a certain person I really didn't care for, but most people who also worked in that time period still picked that person out right away. It seemed a lot of people had the same perception I did.

The compelling stories for me personally aren't so much the ones about the media people (although those are good too), it's the stories about the stories you've covered. You're really telling the history of Chicago over the past thirty years. How has that front row seat affected your perception of your city and it's people?

Chuck: There is no other city I'd rather work in than Chicago. When it comes to covering news, there is no better place to be. It's a hard-working city filled with hard-working people. Plus, with the way politicians operate around here, there will always be news operations covering these guys and the way they do business. The names may have changed over the years, but the way they operate hasn't really changed at all.

There are least a half dozen stories in here that are about near-death experiences on the job. You have had guns pointed at you, nearly crashed in a helicopter and a small plane, and walked into the roughest, toughest neighborhoods with little or no protection. Out of all of those stories, which one scared you the most?

Chuck: I have to say the helicopter and plane stories were the scariest for me. There is a very helpless feeling when your helicopter or plane is swinging side to side, or dropping from the air like a stone, and you see the ground getting closer and closer. It's totally out of your control, and that's scary. Not to take anything away from being stuck in a bad neighborhood, but eventually with experience you can get a quick feel when things aren't right, and you just get out. Took me awhile to learn that one.

I personally learned a lot about the news business and how it works (and how it once worked). For people interested in getting into the business, how do you think your book will help them?

Chuck: In school, you're in a controlled environment. You have very little experience with the real world. This book talks about real news stories and all that goes with covering those stories. It tells the upside and the downside. There are stories that make you feel good about being in the business and some not so much. If it's the direction you choose for your career then hopefully this book will give you a little insight into what this crazy business is all about.

How has your family responded to this book? I take it even they didn't know some of these stories until they read it. What have they said to you about it?

Chuck: My family is very supportive of the book. Everyone who has read it has enjoyed it very much. I've never really been one to come home and discuss the job too much, so some of the stories were kind of eye opening for certain people. My cousin read it and simply said, "Loved the book, glad you're still alive."

Life_behind_camera_COVER-web