Thursday, January 16, 2014

Media Spotlight--January 16


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.



Chicago Media

~Cyber Super CFL
One of my all-time favorite radio stations (WCFL) is back. At least on the internet. Dave Hoekstra of the Sun-Times wrote about it this week. It's the brainchild of J.R. Russ, a guy from New Buffalo, Michigan.


Broadcast News

~MSNBC Chief Apologizes for All the Needed Apologies
This is pretty funny on so many levels. MSNBC really is just like Fox News these days, except for one thing. They still apologize.

~Larry King named new dean of the Friar's Roast
That may not sound like an obvious choice to you, but Larry is actually quite funny in real life. I've met him a few times.

~Shep Smith tears into net neutrality opponent
Not something you'd expect to see on Fox News. He called his guest a corporate shill and asked him who pays him to express opinions that clearly nobody believes about the internet (unless you're getting paid by the companies who will benefit). Bravo Shep.


The Pundits

~HBO signs Bill Maher for another season
I appreciate his fearlessness, even if he does come across as completely unlikable. Now HBO will have both him and John Oliver on the schedule, which is another show I eagerly anticipate. By the way, I still characterize both Maher and Oliver as pundits as opposed to "showbiz" because of the political nature of their comedy.


The Publishing Biz

~James Frey gets multi-book, multi-media deal
Remember the author who lied about his book "A Million Little Pieces"? He claimed it was a true story, and it wasn't. He was disgraced...ish. Harper Collins just signed him to huge deal.