Monday, February 17, 2014

Media Spotlight--February 17


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


Chicago Media

~WGN's New FM Sports Talk Begins Today at 1PM
It's going to be called "The Game". And it's on 87.7 FM. Robert Feder has the details, including an interview with Jimmy deCastro.

The Moguls

~"Bloodbath" of Time Warner Execs Expected if Comcast Sale Goes Through
There's no question that this headline in the New York Post (page 6 column) is true, even if it's a little New York Postishly dramatic.

Broadcast News

~Bob Costas is Back Tonight
His eye infection has apparently healed enough to allow him to return as host of the Olympic coverage. Matt Lauer didn't comment. He's in a coma.

~Did NBC Reporter Go Too Far in Bode Miller interview?
Kristin Cooper asked Miller three times in the interview about his brother who had passed away. Did she go too far? I really don't think she did. TV Newser has a transcript.

The Pundits

~Meet the Press' Climate Debate
It was Bill Nye the Science Guy vs. Tennessee Representative Marsha Blackburn. Oy. The National Journal reviews the segment, and I think does so quite fairly.

~Piers Morgan Questioned By Scotland Yard
This is all about the phone hacking investigation, in which Morgan is tangentially related (as a former Daily Mirror editor). The Telegraph has the details including the reaction from CNN.

~Joel McHale to Host White House Correspondent's Dinner
This is a plum gig--the president himself will be in attendance. I have to admit, I don't watch "The Soup" on the E! Network, so I didn't immediately know who McHale was. When I saw his picture I realized I have seen him many times.

Showbiz

~Snake Salvation Star Dies From Snakebite
This reminds me of the Steve Irwin story. It's hard to conjure up a lot of sympathy for a snake handler who dies from a snakebite. Especially when you read the details about how he refused treatment. I do feel sympathy for his family.

~"The Lego Movie" Tops The Box Office
I've heard various different reviews from parents who have gone wih their kids. Everything from "Surprisingly Good" to "I fell asleep". My youngest son wants to go see it today. I'll let you know if we manage to make it out of the house.

~The Simpsons are also going Lego
Here's the gist of the story, via Reuters...
The Fox network's animated family "The Simpsons" is getting a plastic makeover on May 4, as the creators team up with toy company Lego for an entire episode created out of the plastic building blocks

Radio Biz

~The Gay Parent Bashing RSVP is a Scam--Radio Guys Made it Up
I've seen this story all over social media and my first thought when I read it was--this doesn't sound real. It wasn't. Reuters has the details about the New York radio hosts who perpetuated the ruse. Thanks for giving the entire industry a bad name, fellas.