Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Media Spotlight--April 22


My media focus this year will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, radio, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


The Moguls

~Jeff Bezos Net Worth Takes A Dive
I don't want to brag, but my little internet publishing company Eckhartz Press has made me $6 billion more than amazon has made Jeff Bezos so far this year. That, my friends, is an absolutely true statement.

~Comcast Bucks Industry Trend By Adding Customers
Bloomberg's story about Comcast leaves out one little thing: One of the ways they are doing this is by crushing their competitors. Believe me, people aren't flocking to Comcast because they love it. They often are reduced to only having one choice.

The Pundits

~Jon Stewart Takes Down Sean Hannity
And his completely inexplicable love of the thieving rancher. These are my favorite Daily Show bits. Taking the person in question's own words and showing them how randomly they argue their points to suit their political agenda at the moment...

~John Oliver's Show Debuts This Weekend on HBO.
I've already set the DVR.

Broadcast News

~Forner CBS Reporter Claims Bias
Sharyl Attkisson says that CBS News has a liberal bias...and she used to work there. I think this is a fair charge. Obviously this sort of thing doesn't rise to the heights that Fox News takes it (CBS News still, for instance, fact checks, abides by the rules of journalism, and corrects errors when they are made), but it's still not good...
“The tendency on the part of some of these managers who have key influences has been they never mind the stories that seem to … go against the grain of the Republican Party,” Attkisson told “Reliable Sources” host Brian Stelter yesterday. “But they do often seem to feel defensive about, almost, personally defensive on stories that could make the government look bad.”