Thursday, April 03, 2014

Media Spotlight--April 3


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


Chicago Media

-WBEZ wins a Peabody
Three reporters for “This American Life” embedded themselves at Chicago’s Harper High School, winning a Peabody for WBEZ. Non-Chicago related Peabody winners below.

Awards

~The Peabody Winners
To me, the Peabody Awards are the most impressive, because they are only given out for the highest quality, and don't seem to be influenced merely by popularity. This year's winners include Netflix' "House of Cards", HBO's documentary "Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God," PBS' documentary about NFL concussions, and AMC's "Breaking Bad". Read more at the link. This YouTube video from two college students in Oregon even won a Peabody. Nicely done.



The Radio Biz

~What Obama Just Taught The Radio Business
Radio consultant Fred Jacobs has a smart piece (linked above) about what Obama's use of radio during the ACA rollout can teach radio. I agree with him entirely. If I didn't, would I be sending all of my authors to radio stations to do interviews? (Joel Daly was on WLS this morning) Radio is an underappreciated way to sell your product. Hell, we're selling potholes (www.potholestore.com) on the radio. Brandmeier called David Stern this morning. Those who write radio off, leave a viable option off the table for no reason.

The Internet

~The Wolf of Buzzfeed
This is very well done...