Friday, April 04, 2014

Media Spotlight--April 4


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


Showbiz

~David Letterman is retiring
This is a bummer, but I suspected it was coming after the emergence of Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel. There are lots of articles about this subject. Here are a few...
*Adweek: David Letterman Announces His Retirement During Late Show Taping
*Reuters: Letterman retirement gives CBS chance to draw younger viewers to late night
*New York Times: After 3 Decades, Letterman Says He Will Sign Off
*USA Today: Two words: Letterman's retiring (There's a good video of Dave's top ten here)
*Mashable: David Letterman to Retire From 'Late Show' in 2015

Broadcast News

~Jenna interviews her dad
This is news because Jenna's maiden name is Bush. Video highlight at the link.

The Advertising Biz

~Honey Maid: Wholesome ad
I like what they've done with this. It's a unique/feel good approach that will win the company many more fans than enemies...