Monday, September 25, 2017

Trump Vs. the NFL

I know the president was trying to rally his dwindling base by ripping the NFL players who kneel, but once again, it was the way he did it that caused the backlash this past weekend. He called them "sons of bitches" and urged a boycott of the NFL.

The NFL didn't respond well to that, and athletes from all sports rallied to their side.

My twitter feed was full of Trump supporters comparing the freedom of speech issue with the cause of bakers who didn't want to sell wedding cakes to gay couples. Again, one is a protest against discrimination and the other is a protest FOR discrimination, but whatever--you can pick your side and stay there I suppose.

I personally wouldn't kneel. But is this really a bad way of protesting? It's quiet. It's non-violent. It's brief. It harms no-one. I wish more protests would be done this way. Or as my good buddy Dale Earnhardt Jr. said...



Or as my comrade-in-arms Tom Brady said...



When you've lost Earnhardt and Brady, you might want to reconsider, Mr. Trump.

And my man Bob Costas sums this whole thing up beautifully...