Monday, February 11, 2013

American Comedy Network Signs Off

This is a bummer. ACN is gone.

The American Comedy Network had been part of the radio landscape for thirty years. They weren't "on the air" per se, they wrote and produced comedy bits for morning radio shows across the country. I actually wrote a handful of bits for them about twenty years ago. At one time they were the ultimate comedy radio service. These days comedy radio shows are an endangered species, and so ACN can no longer stay afloat.

I think I'm more bummed about what this says about radio in general. I never worked on a show that really used comedy services (we wrote our own stuff), but we were in the third biggest market in America. The smaller markets used comedy services. That's the part that bums me out. The smaller markets generally don't even have local morning shows anymore.