Friday, April 23, 2021
Thursday, April 22, 2021
One of three Bob Smiths to play for the Cubs, this one has the distinction of being the first. He had a very unusual career. After coming up with Boston as a shortstop, Smith was moved to pitcher in his third big league season. Smith then pitched in the big leagues for thirteen seasons, and posted double-digit wins six years in a row. His last time doing it was for the 1931 Cubs. In that tumultuous year (when star player Hack Wilson and his manager Rogers Hornsby were at war all season), Bob won 15 games. The following year he was moved to the bullpen, and pitched for the Cubs in that capacity in the 1932 World Series. The team traded him in 1933 as part of the package used to acquire slugger Babe Herman.
Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Dave and I chatted with Kevin Matthews about his crazy radio days in Chicago when we worked together at AM 1000 in the 80s/90s. Included as a bonus, an old interview I conducted of Jim Shortz on Kevin's show in 1992 as Rick the German Boy. https://t.co/4SlyUAu1nV— Rick Kaempfer (@RickKaempfer) April 21, 2021
Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Congrats to Eckhartz Press author Ken Korber for his involvement with this project with Little Steven. This is from Bruce Springsteen's Backstreets website yesterday...
LITTLE STEVEN'S ROCKIN' ROLL ADVENTURE
Stevie in a new children's book, and in classrooms virtually
"I'm going on tour," says Steven Van Zandt, "traveling the only way we can right now — on Zoom." Van Zandt has just launched Little Steven's Virtual Classroom Tour, with plans to make an online visit to at least one public-school classroom per week for the remainder of this school year.
"The tours we did with the Disciples of Soul these last few years before the quarantine," says Stevie, "brought me face to face with the teachers we invited to the show every night. In the final week before COVID-19 shut down the U.S., I visited a TeachRock Partner School in Fullerton, CA, and seeing our curriculum come to life in the hands of teachers and students felt like the culmination of my life's work. I miss that interaction. So I've started visiting classrooms virtually every week. I get to see how our skilled teachers are using TeachRock to keep kids focused and engaged in such a crazy time. And I also get to help out where I can, answering questions from the students. I'll be visiting K-12 classrooms each week from now through the end of the school year."
Check out this video to see the kinds of questions that Little Steven can expect from students as he visits them online.
The Virtual Classroom Tour comes on the heels of Little Steven's appearance in the children's book Grace's Rockin' Roll Adventure, written by Ken Korber with illustrations by Jaime Buckley.
Stevie is depicted in interactions with characters from the children's-book series The Musical Adventures of Grace, which connects music with early elementary reading, science, and math. Copies of the book can be purchased with an $8 discount directly through TeachRock, which also will benefit from each direct purchase.
Monday, April 19, 2021
From Robert Feder's column tonight. For daypart breakdown, click here...
1. WVAZ 102.7-FM R&B, 6.3 (6.0)
2. WBBM 780-AM/WCFS 105.9-FM all news, 6.2 (7.1)
3. WLIT 93.9-FM adult contemporary, 5.7 (5.3)
4. (tie) WBEZ 91.5-FM public radio news talk, 4.7 (6.4); WDRV 97.1-FM classic rock, 4.7 (4.0)
6. WTMX 101.9-FM hot adult contemporary, 4.4 (4.5)
7. WOJO 105.1-FM Mexican regional, 4.2 (4.0)
8. WXRT 93.1-FM adult album alternative, 3.6 (3.8)
9. WGN 720-AM news talk, 3.5 (4.1)
10. WRME 87.7-FM soft rock oldies, 3.2 (2.1)
11. WKSC 103.5-FM Top 40, 3.1 (3.0)
12. WBMX 104.3-FM classic hip-hop, 2.9 (2.5)
13. WUSN 99.5-FM country, 2.6 (2.0)
14. (tie) WKQX 101.1-FM alternative rock, 2.5 (2.5); WLS 94.7-FM classic hits, 2.5 (2.9)
16. (tie) WSCR 670-AM sports talk, 2.4 (2.1); WPPN 106.7-FM Spanish adult contemporary, 2.4 (2.6)
18. WFMT 98.7-FM classical, 2.3 (2.2)
19. (tie) WGCI 107.5-FM hip-hop, 2.2 (1.7); WSHE 100.3-FM adult contemporary, 2.2 (2.4)
21. (tie) WBBM 96.3-FM Top 40, 1.8 (2.0); WLEY 107.9-FM Mexican regional, 1.8 (1.8)
23. WCHI 95.5-FM rock, 1.7 (1.5)
24. (tie) WLS 890-AM news talk, 1.5 (1.6); WPWX 92.3-FM hip-hop, 1.5 (1.1)
26. WVIV 93.5-FM Spanish contemporary, 1.1 (1.2)
27. WMBI 90.1-FM Christian ministry, 1.0 (1.3)
28. WMVP 1000-AM sports talk, 0.9 (0.8)
29. WCKL 97.9-FM contemporary Christian music, 0.8 (0.9)
30. WCPT 820-AM progressive talk, 0.7 (0.9)
This picture was taken at Dave's wedding 29 years ago. I was his best man. Dave always responds with "You were at best, an OK man." Looking forward to the event. Click on the link below to sign up. https://t.co/VqVMuW5gJ5— Rick Kaempfer (@RickKaempfer) April 19, 2021
After the #SuperLeague statement, this is the UEFA position: "Every club and player participating in the Super League could be banned from all UEFA and FIFA competitions, European or International level". 🚨 #UEFA— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) April 18, 2021