Monday, February 18, 2008

Monday Musings


Every Monday stop by for jokes, links to stories you might have missed, amusing photos and video, and more. Contributions and suggestions are welcome and encouraged. Click on the "Email Me" link on the right to contribute.



Joke of the Week: Contributed by "S", in honor of this past weekend's Valentine's Day


How to say 'I love you' in 25 languages.

English
I Love You

Spanish
Te Amo

French
Je T'aime

German
lch Liebe Dich

Japanese
Ai Shite Imasu

Italian
Ti Amo

Chinese
Wo Ai Ni

Swedish
Jag Alskar

Alabama
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Tennessee
Mississippi
Louisiana
Virginia
West Virginia
Kentucky
Parts of Florida
Nice Ass, Get in the truck


Stories you might have missed

1. Blow up doll stands in for groom
(Ladies, I know what you're thinking...the perfect man.)

2. First Submarine Car to be unveiled
(Yawn. These people have obviously never seen a James Bond movie.)

3. NBC apologizes for Jane Fonda using the "C" word on the Today Show.
(The bleeped clip is available at this link. I found the unbleeped version on YouTube too, but it didn't feel right to post it here.)

4. Johnny Knoxville nearly loses his balls in stunt mishap

(This was bound to happen sooner or later...)

5. Something fishy in NY: In 80 districts Obama got zero votes
(How many votes did Pat Buchanan get?)




Video of the week:



"Yes We Can"


BONUS VIDEO: John McCain's Answer Video





Picture of the week: Contributed by "L". Happy President's Day from the Washington Monument.

















Reader Response

Regarding "Just One Bad Century"

"Hi. I just ran across your website while messing around on youtube. I am a 56 year old Cub fan who went to his first game in 1957.Cubs vs Cards,Glen Hobbie vs Vinegar Bend Myzel. Cubs won that day. Ernie even homered. I'd like to leave you with two memories if I may but before I do, all the best to you on your website.

Firstly, not enough respect is shown to the late,great announcer,Jack Quinlan. Jack along with Lou Boudreau made a horrible team, the Cubs of the 50s and early 60s interesting. I learned how to keep score listening to Jack. If a rookie came up for the first time, Jack would spell out the rookie's name so you would know how to pronounce it. I remember hearing, S-t-a-r-g-e-l-l the first time Willie played against the Cubs.Of course there was the infamous pantihose commercial that Jack and Lou laughed their way through. I used to turn off the tv and listen to the radio call. Jack Quinlan in my opinion, was far superior to Jack Brickhouse.

This is a true story. Opening Day 1982. The first Opening Day for the Tribune owned Cubs. It was cold and it snowed a couple of days before. The ground crew went out the day before with shovels and worked late cleaning up the field. I was waiting in line to use the men's room. Because it was just before Easter, this guy in front of me was dressed as Bugs Bunny. Not to be upstaged, because of the cold temperatures another guy was dressed as Santa Claus. I guess both of these guys were fully krauesened (sorry for mispelling,Old Style guys) Any way, I guess Bugs really had to "go" so he did, right in the coat pocket of Santa's coat. Needless to say a fight broke out with the fans cheering on the combatants.What great theatre, the ushers and the off duty police in the yellow windbreakers carted them of to Town Hall Station.

Any way all the best."
--H

Rick responds: Thanks for the great stories. I will be featuring some Jack Quinlan audio in March.


Regarding "Chicago Radio Spotlight"

"Thanks for "chicago radio spotlight." I've learned lots about local radio
personalities since you've been doing it. While I enjoyed many of your interviews, I particularly enjoyed the one with Scott Childers and am looking forward to his forthcoming book. There have been books about WLS before, the one by Stew Salowitz comes to mind, but I've often thought it would be great if someone could write a history or collection of interviews about WCFL in its heyday as a rock and roll radio station. Again, many thanks for writing these stories."
--J

Regarding Suburban Man: "I got a little verklempt."

"I just read your piece about not being able to hear your father's voice anymore. It never works when I try either. It has to flow. It has to be a situation that just brings them to the surface and suddenly you hear them. Plain as if they just said something to you. Maybe you just need to put yourself in some situations or places where you were a son, not a father. Then again, a lot of what they did to us comes out in how we treat the next generation. There's a Greek saying that roughly translates to 'your eyes should be 4,' meaning be vigilant. It was always said to my sister before she went down to Rush Street and New Town. OR the "gin mills" as my father always said."
--C




Happy President's Day! Only 337 days until we get a new one.