Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Day the Music Died

I just realized today that this is my fifth year of writing my blog and every year I have paused to mention this date...February 3rd. On February 3, 1959, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper perished in a plane crash in Iowa. 51 years ago today.

Bob Hale was the MC of that last concert. I interviewed him for Chicago Radio Spotlight a few years ago.

Bob Dearborn, who was a friend and colleague of mine at WJMK, became famous at WCFL in Chicago in the early 70s for his analysis of the lyrics to "American Pie" by Don McLean, which was inspired by that plane crash. I have that link permanently listed on my "Links to Rick's picks" on this blog.

What can I say? I'm a Buddy Holly fan.

If I'm still writing this blog next year, I'll probably mention it again.

OK, enough rambling. How about some music? This is probably my favorite Buddy Holly song...