Thursday, February 18, 2010

Time to Celebrate!

I had a pretty awesome day yesterday.

I finished the first draft of my second novel first thing in the morning, and I was pretty excited about it for nearly an hour.

In addition to that, later in the morning I signed a contract with an agent for a non-fiction book I'm co-writing with a friend. That's a HUGE step. Very exciting. I was excited about that for another hour.

(What are these books about? All in due time. I don't want to tip my hand quite yet.)

Around noon I pitched a TV show idea (a full proposal already registered with the Writer's Guild) to a long-time friend with connections. His initial reaction was very enthusiastic. If he gets behind this, it could really happen. Crossing my fingers there.

More excitement.

Then it was time to pick up the boys (including broken leg boy), help with homework, make dinner on a meat-free Ash Wednesday, and...to tell you the truth...by the time I sat down for my celebratory Guinness (I like to celebrate in style), I couldn't quite remember what I was celebrating.

That's probably because I know I'm still a long way from the finish line on all three ventures. Last novel was a series of premature celebrations. (I actually wrote about that when it came out. You can read that here.) Last non-fiction book proposal was just the beginning of the writing process. I've also had a dozen or so meetings about TV shows and movie scripts and initial excitement often leads to nothing.

But still...a good day.

Cheers. The Guinness was delicious.