Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Birthday Milestones

Thanks to Bob Dearborn's The Olde Disc Jockey's Almanac, I know the following things happened on my birthday throughout the years.

On my fifth birthday (1968)...The Beatles held their "Mad Day Out," an all-day group photography session across London, which produced most of their well-known latter-day photographs, including the cover of LIFE and the inside gatefold of their "Beatles 1967-1970" album.

On my tenth birthday (1973)...Grand Funk Railroad released "We're an American Band." Lee Majors divorced Farrah Fawcett on that same day.

On my 35th birthday (1998)...Monica Lewinsky received blanket immunity from prosecution to testify before a grand jury about her relationship with U.S. President Bill Clinton.

And finally, tragically...

On my 37th birthday (2000)...Kathie Lee Gifford made her final appearance as co-host of the ABC-TV talk show "Live with Regis and Kathie Lee." (I'm still reeling from that sad birthday)

Just out of curiosity, I also looked up the Cubs record on my birthday. They won a double header against the Cardinals the day I was born (I was actually born midway through the first game), and they lost today. Overall, they are 28-20. Not too bad, actually, considering how horrible they have been most of my life.