Monday, July 12, 2010

The Signs of South Africa

Well, the World Cup ended yesterday with a pretty lousy game, but for me this was still one of the all-time great World Cups. I enjoyed every second of it...and not just because I saw so much of it in South Africa.

I have only three more things to share with you from my South Africa trip. Today, I'm posting some of the funny signs I saw there. Tomorrow I'll tell you the story about my cross-country train trip, and then on Wednesday I'll show you some of the spectacular scenery I photographed. After that, I promise I'll move on.

I stared at this poster for hours trying to figure out what the heck the artist has in mind here. What do Diego Maradona, Nelson Mandela and Bob Marley have to do with each other, and how are they uniting Africa?




Try it some time. This is a very deep concept. I tried to stay of grass, but I could never attain the total consciousness required.



This one certainly isn't funny. These signs were still being used in South Africa less than twenty years ago. The Apartheid Museum is a life changing experience.



There were various different "Beware of Baboons" signs all over the Cape of Good Hope.



Who hasn't done this at least once? "Honey did I just run over a penguin again?"  This sign was posted at a place called Boulder Beach. There were penguins everywhere.



The tip of Africa.

At the end of this path is the very tip of the African continent, where the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean meet. (Photos to come on Wednesday)








And just to prove that those baboon and penguin signs were necessary, here's a picture of some penguins at Boulder Beach, and a baboon that walked across the road on our way to the Cape of Good Hope.