Wednesday, May 04, 2011

White Sox No-Hit

I watched some of the no-hitter thrown by Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano against the Sox last night, and there was at least one controversial call.

In the eighth inning the umpire made a bad call at first base. Gordon Beckham should have been safe because Twins first baseman Justin Mourneau missed the tag. There were also six walks, so it wasn't like it was a masterpiece.

On the other hand, the Sox weren't exactly "All In" last night, were they?

Have we started the countdown clock on Ozzie's meltdown yet? The Sox are ten and a half games out of first on May 4.

On Baseball Tonight (ESPN) Bobby Valentine predicted that this was rock bottom for the Sox, and it would serve as a wake up call. I guess we'll have to see. Believe it or not, I'm sort of hoping he's right. Don't worry Cub fans, I haven't changed allegiances. I just have two Sox players (Dunn & Rios) on my fantasy team.

UPDATE: "RP" correctly points out that the controversial Beckham call at first base was the second half of a double play--so even if he was correctly called safe, it still would have been a no-hitter. My bad.